Frankfurt / London / Vienna – June 16, 2014 – In a joint market study the German investor relations society DIRK and Ipreo, a global leader in market data and investor relations advisor, have analysed the ownership structure of Germany’s largest index DAX 30. The focus of the study, the first to be created as part of the recent partnership between DIRK and Ipreo, is a thorough analysis of the institutional free float distribution of DAX-listed issuers with regards to geography, investment styles and most active trading venues.
The key highlights include:
* Strategic ownership in the DAX is approximately 20%
* Family/Endowment holdings account for the largest group within strategic investors
* Retail investors account for 15% of Germany’s large cap issuers
* Institutional free float is dominated by US investors
* Shareholdings of value investors are significantly higher than those of growth, yield or alternative strategies
* One quarter of DAX investments are managed in passive funds
* BlackRock Group controls approximately 7% of the DAX free float
* The Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund manages on average 2.5% of all DAX investments
* Asia, Middle East and other Emerging Markets remain underrepresented as road show locations
* Alternative trading venues and OTC trading are on the rise, and are now on a par with XETRA transactions
Kay Bommer, MD of DIRK, commented on the study results: “We see a great value in the study, which we can present to our members for the first time this year as a result of our partnership with Ipreo. The international institutional investor base and the attractiveness of DAX issuers are clearly visible in the study. We are also able to see the importance of other investor groups and trends, including retail shareholders or the increased money flows into ETFs as well as more trading on alternative platforms. We will dedicate more time analysing these trends in order to provide more value to our members.”
Andreas Posavac, Director at Ipreo and responsible for Corporate Services in DACH added: “As advisors to companies on the identification and structure of their investor base we see similar trends amongst issuers on a daily basis. The results, while not surprising to us, illustrate trends, risks and opportunities that German issuers will be confronted with in the near future if they are not already. The results are suitable for IR benchmarking purposes. We and DIRK hope that the findings will be used to tackle unused potential through proactive IR communication as well as to identify risks in advance and adjust IR strategies accordingly.”
The DAX analysis is planned on an annual basis as part of an extensive partnership between DIRK and Ipreo. The results for 2014 will be presented at the annual DIRK conference in Frankfurt. In the upcoming study next year Ipreo and DIRK will also highlight investor trends and global benchmarking data for the first time. Additionally, DIRK and Ipreo plan to cooperate on other projects and studies which will be announced throughout the year.
Over the last three years since KKR’s initial investment, Ipreo has seen tremendous growth. The company has grown revenues by approximately fifty percent, undertaken strategic acquisitions of Debtdomain and Discovery Data that have enabled it to expand its offerings to customers, established new operations with a sizable employee base in Raleigh, North Carolina, and significantly expanded its footprint globally.
Detailed results of the study can be requested via the contacts below and also accessed via the following link for free:http://www.ipreoink.com/investor-relations/item/3287-investoren_der_deutschland_ag
DIRK – Deutscher Investor Relations Verband
T. +49 (0)69.9590 9490
F. +49 (0)69.9590 94999
Tel.: +43 664 4441130
Managing Director, Global Marketing & Communications