On November 10th 2014, Ipreo Debtdomain held the second EMEA Loans Agency Conference at America Square Conference Centre in London.
Attendance was high, with 165 agency delegates, representing 91 agency teams, vendors, market associations and other firms. Delegates traveled from 32 cities in 19 countries to the event. The goal of the conference was to give participants the opportunity to learn, share ideas and collaborate on common challenges as well as to provide a setting in which agency professionals could meet with peers.
Events such as the EMEA Loans Agency Conference also promote consistent practices across agents and facilitate industry improvements – something which is increasingly important given the backdrop of increased regulation and compliance, a focus on operational risk and reporting and competition from the Fixed Income market.
Key takeaways from the conference included:
- Loans agencies function with a high level of isolation (agency business work in silos, with little regular contact with other agencies) and there remains significant room for improvement via automation
- There is strong awareness of FATCA and no real concern with the issue
- Agencies use a wide variety of approaches to team structure and funding, per the heads of agency from Barclays, RBS, BNP Paribas, Lloyds and Nordea
- There is an increasing desire to incorporate management time and transfer fees into facility agreements
- over the past five years, industry automation has made a lot of headway, with deal sites now being used for majority of agented deals, and sophisticated back office systems having been implemented in over 40 agent banks in EMEA
- And more…
In all, 28 panelists from across the industry provided delegates with a balanced view on common challenges and participated in a discussion of the future of Loans Agency, and the feedback from the event was overwhelmingly positive.
Keep your diary free for the third annual EMEA Loans Agency Conference, taking place in November 2015, and read the full event report here.